Cars are always speeding on the roads each day. The production of more cars only contributes to the worsening traffic. The ordinary pedestrian should be on the lookout for any negligent driver cruising carelessly along the roads.
Usually, hit and run accidents happen when unwary pedestrians are crossing a busy street or road. Drivers, who accidentally hit them, panic and leave the scene without knowing the condition of the person they injured.
Drivers might get frightened because they are afraid of the repercussions of their actions. Causing someone’s death is also a heavy feeling. Drivers, after all, are still people. In some states, if a hit and run end with only property damage and no injuries, it is considered a misdemeanor act. If a pedestrian is injured, then cases against the driver will become a felony.
For pedestrians, always be vigilant in crossing roads and streets to avoid untoward accidents. A driver might be under the influence and may lose control of their vehicle. Also, avoid crossing a road if there is not enough light. Pedestrians can make contact with cars if there isn’t enough light to see them crossing. If someone is a victim of a hit and run, here are some things to do.
- If the car is still visible, try and take down important details such as plate numbers. Other things to take note of are: Body and make of the car, the color of the vehicle, and vehicle type. Also, take note of the time and place where the hit and run happened.
- When helping out a victim, don’t move them immediately. This act may cause further suffering from a spinal injury due to sudden movements.
- If there are no signs of spinal injury, then carefully move the victim to a safer place.
- Stop any bleeding by applying pressure to a wound.
- Loosen any tight clothing that may restrict blood flow.
- Call the police to report the incident.
- Call Emergency medical services.
Hit and Run cases are dangerous especially if children are the victim. Drivers tend to be afraid of the consequences that come along with their actions, so some of them drive away. Hopefully, if some bystanders are nearby, there is a big chance that they may take note of important details regarding the driver who made a hit and run. Call for emergency services to assist the victim.