The very essence of the law is to regulate society by punishing offenders. Punishment acts as a deterrent for others and is intended to encourage the offender to refrain from committing another offense. Having laws are an important thing that separates humans from animals and make us more civilized. But sometimes the law can be used as a tool to harass others. It is not unheard of to have innocent people face criminal charges, and in most of those cases, undergo punishment as well. Thus, it is crucial to hire a skilled criminal defense attorney if you’ve been charged with a crime.
Here are the 5 skills and qualities you should look for in a criminal lawyer:
- Experience: Experience matters a lot in the legal field. Just having a law degree is not enough. Law is a very dynamic subject and there are not always established hard and fast rules to follow. It varies from case to case. This is why the experience of an attorney is so crucial. An attorney decides the exact defense to take for the client among many other things. Together, these factors help decide the fate of the client, An experienced attorney will know what to focus on and how to best frame the defense.
- Teamwork: Teamwork is also a critical aspect of building a case for the defendant. A good attorney must cooperate and work actively with criminal defense investigators and experts to strengthen the merit of the case. According to attorney Melissa Garscin, a Colorado defense lawyer, consulting with experts and witnesses are crucial in getting a good outcome.
- Deep knowledge of the law: Perhaps the most basic of all the requirements is a deep, accurate, and up to date knowledge of the law. This helps the attorney to file proper defense and build merit of the case to defend the client.
- Close contact with the client: An attorney should maintain a good relationship with the client. He should listen to each and every detail of the incident by the client to be able to defend him or her successfully with strong merit before the court of law. The client should not feel ignored.
- Knowledge of local courts: Each district and courthouse has its own particular way of getting things done. The criminal court process in Denver County can vary from the criminal court process in Jefferson, Weld or Arapahoe. Also, there is a huge difference between the traditional courts and the Colorado juvenile courts. Therefore, it is important for the attorney to know the local courts to be able to defend the client.
Don’t put your future on the line. If you’ve been accused and charged of a crime, do your research and find a criminal defense attorney with the qualities listed above.